There are eleven (11) bills that impact your use of firearms in the current legislative session. These bills include topics of safety, elimination of preemption (thus enabling local districts to set your firearms laws), elimination of lead shot for hunting, firearms purchase permits, registration, and more.
Call to Action with “How To Engage”:
- Review the list, Identify the bills that impact you, our community, and our 2nd Amendment rights.
- Using the links provided, access, review, and understand the bills, watch their progress.
- Use this link for “Bill Alerts” to sign up for alerts on changes and progress for the bills of interest.
- Learn how the Oregon legislature works and how you can engage the process through “Oregon Legislature Citizen Engagement”
- Contact your state Senators and Representatives to let them know how you stand and how they should represent each bill. Use “Who Represents ME in Oregon” to find your Senator and Representative.
OSSA Oregon Bill Summary:
OSSA is Oregon’s strongest supporter and enabler for responsible gun ownership. OSSA enables safe places to shoot, training and shooting sports competitions for new and experienced shooters alike.
OSSA recommends ”In Favor” for these bills as they support responsible firearms use and improve prior legislation
- SB 502 SB502 Text Exempts Confidentiality Program participants from firearms background checks.
- SB 503 SB503 Text Implements Concealed Handgun License reciprocity.
- HB 2804 HB2804 Text Enables Crossbow use in specific cases for hunting.
- HB 2872 HB2872 Text Creates tax credit for background check expenses.
OSSA is ”Opposed” to these bills as they enable local municipalities to make their gun laws (eliminates preemption where the State can only implement these laws), or are direct attacks on our citizen’s 2nd amendment rights to “Keep and Bear Arms”.
- SB 554 SB554 Text Eliminates preemption, redefines, and bans licensed carry in “public buildings”
- SB 585 SB585 Text Eliminates preemption, enables local municipals to make their own gun laws
- SB 592 SB592 Text Prohibits lead shot for hunting. Currently allowed for upland bird hunting.
- HB 2543 HB2543 Text Enables delayed, no time limit, rejection by no action background check process.
OSSA is ”Opposed” to these bills, as written, as they have serious technical errors that will prevent their ability to implement or function as intended. As a result, well-meaning, lawful citizens risk being turned into criminals.
- HB 2510 HB2510 Text Requires owner or possessor of firearm to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock, in locked container or in gun room except in specified circumstances.
- SB 604 SB604 Text Requires person to obtain training, permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm under circumstances requiring criminal background check.
- SB 396 SB396 Text Bans undetectable firearms and includes unfinished, untraceable receivers as actual firearms and thus requiring firearms procedures.
Watch for ongoing updates and analysis of these bills in future posts. (www.ossa.org/oregon-legislature)
To either update your ranges' information or to list your range, please contact the webmaster.